Secretly Unstable

I have been told I am crazy, funny, a good cook, and a decent blogger. These are the expectations I am trying to live up to. Thank you.

Monday, May 01, 2006

Bamontes.

(My dining experience at Bamonte's was so damn good that it deserves a blog all to itself. That is proof of some impressive eating.)

Friday I was smart enough to think about the upcoming weekend and realize we had no Saturday night plans. So I called up Bamonte's in Williamsburg and made a reservation for 8:30. I had heard great things about this restaurant, and I read even greater things:

""After 100 years, this Williamsburg "throwback" is still "keeping it real" with "no-nonsense" "red sauce Italian" and "local color" "so classic it's nearly a cliche."" -2006 New York City Restaurant Zagats

I knew I wouldn't be disappointed. I just knew it!

The minute we opened the front door we were greeted with a friendly hello from the bartender. He is reason enough to go back there. He was super friendly, and made perfect bartender conversation. He was like the Irish version of my Dad. And for those of you that know my Italian/Jewish Bartender Pop, Harvey Paciulli, you know that is a great thing. He talked about partying after hours in the 70s/80s, he made small talk about sports and FDNY, and he made reference to his daughters and son. It was a wonderful beginning to a great meal.

So after I enjoyed my house Chianti (always drink the house wine in an establishment like Bamonte's, wine snobbery will ruin the feel of the place) we were seated by a very nice hostess. I was instantly impressed with the decor. It was like my Grandma Jean's living room (my Grandpa Joe's mistress/girlfriend). I expected there to be a music box for me to play with while I waited on seven layer lasagna. The walls we rose pink, there were chandeliers and baroque style paintings, and we were warmed by the glow of dessert display unit. When I sat down I declared that I loved this place, even before cracking the menu.

Looking around the restaurant there was a nice mix of people. There were hipsters (who I am pleased to see are finally enjoying some good Italian food, I am sure they would impress their friends back home in Iowa.). There were Italian-American families with their Gotti kids look alikes. There were yuppies on date night. And couples in their 70s enjoying their bi-weekly visit. You know me, I enjoy diversity - it makes the world a better place, and it made this restaurant REAL.

Now the menu was one of the best traditional italian cuisine menus I have even seen. On top of the usual baked pastas and veal dishes, there was a wide variety of fish and italian specialities like Osso Bucco. And they had a specials section that had about 15 different choices. Very impressive. We ordered appetizers to share, Fried Calamari and Grilled Portobello Mushrooms and I ordered the lasagna. (I just couldn't get my Grandma Jean out of my head. Plus lasagna is a great way to judge an Italian restaurant. You get to sample their pasta, which is homemade, their sauce, and their meat.)

Our waiter was gruff, but attentive, and we didn't wait very long for our food. The mushrooms were so garlicy I swear I was tasting them until around 4:30 yesterday. The calamari was done just right. And my lasagna was out of this world. It was baked perfectly. No runny cheese, no watery sauce. There were little tasty meatballs through out and pasta was out of this world. It was easiely the best lasagna I ever had. EVER. (Sorry Grandma Jean.)

We ordered coffee and a little dessert, a Cannoli. And I am about to make a very very bold statement. But this was the BEST canoli I have ever tasted. I know cannolis. I have been eating cannolis my whole life. This was the best cannoli. The shells was thick and crunchy. Totally fresh. The filling was incredible. It was perfectly sweet and creamy. It was the best cannoli.

To top off the night, the check was reasonable, $35 per person and we were not rushed out of the restaurant. We sat and enjoyed just being there and meal we just had. And upon leaving every staff member smile sincerly and asked us to have a good night and come again. This restaurant was perfect.

I highly recommend checking it out. Make reservations, get there early and have a glass of wine at the bar, share appetizers, and order the cannoli.

Bamonte's, 32 Withers Street, betw Lorimer & Union Avenues. 718-384-8831

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home