Secretly Unstable

I have been told I am crazy, funny, a good cook, and a decent blogger. These are the expectations I am trying to live up to. Thank you.

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Another Summer Begins In the Twilight Zone

Growing up in Queens New York, I considered myself pretty familiar with most neighborhoods in Queens. Not that I did much exploring, but I had the lay of the land figured out pretty well. We spent the summers between the Long Island Beaches, like Jones Beach and the Queens Beaches like Rockaway. I went to Rockaway with my friends and went to Jones Beach with my family. Things pretty much continued this way until the summer of 1996.

I met Derek in the Spring of 1996. A week before the senior prom that I never to went to, a month before my high school graduation. In June Derek invited me to his parent's summer house in Breezy Point. I didn't know where or what Breezy Point was. I don't think I asked too many questions. I just knew that I was going to a beach house someplace in Queens. I didn't realize that I was about to get my introduction to one of New York City's best kept "secrets."

Derek and I took the bus to Flatbush Avenue from his house in Brooklyn. (The house that we currently own, weird.) And Derek's Dad picked us up in front of the liquor store across from Kings Plaza. He drove an older Cadillac, which I learned once belonged to Derek's maternal Grandfather. We went over a bridge, down a long road, into a private community. You need a card to open gates into parking lots, and the houses seemed to be laid out in no particular order and right on top of each other. Derek's sister Deirdre was playing basketball with a bunch a kids at the playground in front of a place called "The Dug Out." Derek asked, "I wonder if she is winning." Derek's Dad said, "She better be." (Funny how I remember the smallest details sometimes.)

We got out of the car and there I was. This small beach community filled with Irish-Americans, and some Italian-Americans called Breezy Point. The houses were right on top of one another. It was just strange from the start. People don't lock their doors, or even have keys to their own homes. Kids run around free. We met up with Derek's friends, spent half of the time figuring out how to get beer, 1/4 of the time getting beer, and 1/4 of the time drinking the beer. (Such is the life of an underage drinker.) Went to the beach, and did it all again the next night. And the next visit. And the next visit after that. Pretty much went that way for the next couple of years. Getting beer got easier once we turned 21, so there was more time for drinking. But that was pretty much it. Beer and beach. Beach and beer.

Breezy is awesome for many reasons. The beach is not nearly as crowded as the other city beaches. It less than 30 minutes from our house in Brooklyn. There are playground and lots of kids for Ruby to hang out with. We have 3 Ruby Aunts around and 1 little Ruby cousin to hang out with. The stores make kick ass beach sandwiches and have the best chip and beer selection ever. Ruby's Great Grandma and Derek's cousins are always around. It is a close community where everyone is pretty friendly. Plus everyone is having a good time... I think it is the Breezy/beach/beer thing. I am truly lucky to have access to this oasis that is a 30 minute away.

This summer is going to prove to be an awesome one. Ruby is beach lover, and she even made her Mom one too. So get ready to load up the car with beach chairs, towels, sunblock, and snacks, cause Breezy Point here we come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home